Monday, October 12, 2009

Fancy Nancy costume


Fancy Nancy costume, originally uploaded by pearljamfanatic.

Here is a costume I made on request by a friend. It's a Fancy Nancy costume, for those who aren't familiar with the children's book character. The skirt was a challenge, being costume satin and all. I hate slippery fabrics! Another challenge was getting the applique to stick on the satin, since I couldn't use high heat toapply the iron-on applique. I used fabric glue and it seems to be doing the trick so far. The underskirt is made from tulle - another favorite fabric. /sarcasm One new technique I did with the skirt was to use 20-pound fishing line in with the thread as I was doing the rolled hem. This helps the skirt to stand out a bit more despite the weight of the applique and the fabric.

I hope she likes it!